Yorkshire, Humberside & Lincolnshire Circles of Support and Accountability is a registered Charity. In January 2011, after a very successful pilot in North Yorkshire, we established an office in York where our central team are based.
In 2015 we evaluated the first 4 years of our work with the headlines being:
- 64 Circles 1 sexual reconviction
- There was evidence of a reduction in harm for all core members
- There was a significant positive change for core members feelings of powerlessness or hopelessness, struggling with problematic sexual thoughts, spoken an excessive/inappropriate degree about sexual matters, feelings of emotional loneliness; feelings of inadequacy in relationships and low self-esteem
- Volunteers report positive experiences through volunteering for YHCOSA and 100% would recommend this volunteering with others
- 100% of volunteers looking to increase their employment prospects report they have achieved this
- There was a strong agreement that YHCOSA being imbedded in statutory services makes a positive difference
- Coordinators being professionally trained, and thus their decisions being viewed as more defensible, was of high importance to respondents
In the last 4 years we are proud to have won a POPS Positive Partnership award, The Butler Trust award, The Guardian Small Charity award, A Duke of York Award and for being the Howard League Community Programme 2012 award runner up.
The Board of Trustees brings together current and retired criminal justice professionals, community members and Quakers. We also have steering groups in all our project areas to ensure we have strong links with local Police, Probation and members of communities across the region.
Our overall aim is 'no more victims' we work towards achieving this by supporting and holding to account former sexual offenders who are committed to stop offending to lead responsible, productive lives.
Volunteers are welcome from all parts of the community. What they have in common is a commitment to helping develop a carefully managed, innovative community approach to improving community safety.
If you are interested in volunteering in North, South, West Yorkshire or Humberside or would like some more information then please contact Yorkshire, Humberside & Lincolnshire Circles or visit our website: http://www.yhlcosa.org.uk